Breakups can sometimes mean a big change in the way you live your life. From being too bored to being to adventurous. But one thing to look out for in every breakup is how you can become better and more capable of making your next relationship successful.
It’s a big task. But, if you take your time and pay attention to details that matter, you’ll always bounce back stronger and better.
In this post, I’ll be highlighting some unique ways you can shake off your doubts after a major breakup and start living your life in full.
A breakup can even be an eye-opener that will expose the flaws that you may not have seen all the while. Get a cup of coffee and let’s take a little tour.
5 smart things to do after a breakup
1. Access your mistakes : The period after a breakup is not the best time to point fingers to your ex. They actually may have caused it. They may have disrespected everything that you stand for. And they may have shattered your dreams. But now is the time to evaluate nothing else but yourself.
No matter what went wrong in your relationship, and whatever it is the other person did wrong, you actually consented to it. So, it’s more reasonable to stop the blame and focus about being a better person. Simply move on from finding faults and look in to yourself to find out what went wrong on your part.
Were you considerate at all?
Were you supportive enough?
Did you give your time and resources to make the relationship work?
Were you fun to be with?
No matter how perfect you may have thought you were, you’ll find out some mistakes on your part actually contributed to the failure of your relationship. Don’t panic. Just take the next step.
2. Improve on your weaknesses : A person who is constantly improving will always find themselves in better relationships everytime no matter how bad their previous relationships are. This is because it takes thorough self-examination to achieve reasonable improvements in your social life. So, the more you improving on your weak areas, the more you will be able to handle bigger challenges and emotional issues in your relationships.
Have you considered improving your listening and evaluation skills?
Are you patient enough?
What about your sensitivity to the needs of others?
Look out for the things that were missing in your previous relationships and try to improve on them.
3. Make new friends : After a breakup, most people will likely feel disappointed, bored and depressed. But you shouldn’t let yourself stay down for too long.
Find some exciting people you can talk to and share your day with them. It may be a class mate or an office mate who shares the same passion as you. Don’t just sit and wait for others to come talk to you. Instead, try to show genuine interest in what people are doing. Be interesting and approachable. Give a smile, be happy and show that you care.
If you can have new friends to talk to, you’ll be able to forget about the disappointment of your breakup and settle down well before going into your next relationship.
4. Find a new hobby : Another smart thing to do after a breakup is to find a new interest or hobby. This will take your mind off the disappointment and help you come out of any resulting depression.
Instead of just sitting and cursing your luck at home, you can join a sports team in your area or signup for a training class of your choice. What is that thing you’ve been dreaming to achieve? Simply go get it. If you think you’re lacking in one or two skill areas, try to improve yourself as soon as possible. Focus your mind on having more fun and you’ll find less time to worry about your breakup.
5. Travel away : If your ex stays in the same city or area as you, it may be best to travel away for sometime to get a breath of fresh air. You can change cities or environment as long as it will help you avoid occassional contact with your ex. Traveling away can even give you more time to think about your priorities and help you give more time to other areas of your life.
There’s usually nothing you can do about a breakup than to walk away with the positives and lessons learnt. You just have to be matured to let things go. Assure yourself that you’ll become better with the breakup and that better opportunities await you.
If you stop chasing a lost cause, you’ll be better prepared to take on a new adventure.
Now, it’s your chance. Smile. Be strong. Go again. Just do it.